Aavalar Consulting is a trusted technology staffing partner that helps technology leaders connect with and deploy in-demand, skilled IT and Engineering professionals at client sites across the Mid-Atlantic region. Since 1999, Aavalar Consulting has built an award-winning reputation with over one hundred of the most innovative Fortune 500 and mid-market companies to deliver substantial value through a broad set of technology consulting and IT staffing services that include: Staff Augmentation, Interim Technology Executives, and Search and Recruitment for IT and Engineering.
One of Aavalar’s clients in the South Jersey area has an immediate need for a Service Desk / Helpdesk manager on a contract to hire basis. This individual will be responsible for supporting internal clients with mostly PC related IT issues including data center activities such as software updates, disaster recovery, security and backups. One of the goals for the manager in this role will be to decrease the number of outstanding tickets, improve response time, and help users have a better and more productive computing environment.
Consultant’s Title: Helpdesk / Service Desk Manager
Work Location: Southern New Jersey
Is Telecommuting possible? No
• Pretty typical office environment within a large scale manufacturing business
• Impressive, sprawling industrial campus
Who does this position will report to?: Enterprise Infrastructure Lead
Why is there a need for a consultant/contractor?
• The incumbent is approaching retirement
What is the start date of the contract?: ASAP
What is the anticipated length/scope of the contract?: Long term – Contract to hire
What is the size of department?:
• 4 direct reports plus various resources from outside vendors
What projects will the consultant be involved with?:
• Streamline and improve efficiency of the client’s Service Desk
• Provide users with efficient and timely first and second level IT support during working business hours]
• Provide support outside of normal business hours when there are emergencies, upgrades, etc.
• Manage staff scheduling to ensure HD coverage during normal hours and on-call support as required.
• Manages the Helpdesk staff as well as third party vendor service contracts
• Manage incident closure associated with major service outages, and ensuring service teams and vendors performs to agreed SLAs
• Responsible as first line of defense for security incident detection and isolation related to IT
• Responsible for running problem management process
o Reduce the number of incident calls
o Reduce the number of major outages
o Shorten the duration of all incidents.
• Responsible for IT performance monitoring, and proactive service maintenance to ensure high availability and reliability
• Responsible for specified data center activities: data backups and disaster recovery operations readiness.
• Responsible for planning and execution of system upgrades associated with service patching and security.
• Responsible for equipping end user community with enterprise sanctioned client devices and supporting services
• Support the development of service model with mix of in-house and vendor support
• Support project driven change management with hyper-care HD readiness and back out procedures.
• Contributes to, and maintains infrastructure system standards.
• Develops and maintains installation and configuration procedures.
• Responsible for end user communications on outages, IT ‘How to’ and IT best practices.
• Support service procurement activities related to IT capital purchases and on-going service operation contracts
Role with the group: Manager
• 5+ years of experience in enterprise Service Desk / Helpdesk operation
• 5+ years of hands on data center operations experience – backups, monitoring, etc.
• Hands on experience working in Incident, Problem and Change Management disciplines
• Demonstrable organizational and communication skills
• Experience implementing and using help desk ticketing systems
• BS or BA degree in some technical major
• Familiarity with Office 365
• Familiarity with procurement SAP functionality
Desired skills and Experience:
• Computer science or Computer / Electrical Engineering degree
Selling point of the job:
• This is a great contract to hire (try before you buy) opportunity with a stable established company
Work Hours and Schedule:
• Typical core business hours with some flex
Is there travel involved?
• Could be an occasional trip to another facility, but not on a regular basis…
Dress Code: Biz Casual