Aavalar Consulting is a trusted technology staffing partner that helps technology leaders connect with and deploy in-demand, skilled IT and Engineering professionals at client sites across the Mid-Atlantic region. Since 1999, Aavalar Consulting has built an award-winning reputation with over one hundred of the most innovative Fortune 500 and mid-market companies to deliver substantial value through a broad set of technology consulting and IT staffing services that include: Staff Augmentation, Interim Technology Executives, and Search and Recruitment for IT and Engineering.
Position Title: Lead Structured Cabling Technician
Work Location: Germantown, MD
Work environment (private office?, cube?, high rise office building?): Office Building
Who does this position report to? Project Manager
Why is this position open? Company is Growing
Size of department: 5-10 People
Projects involved with: Installing of low-voltage structured cabling, A/V, Access Control, CCTV, and Intrusion Detection solutions in the commercial, retrofit, and new build settings. Technician will organize small groups of installers in the performance of daily workload including adherence to company safety and quality standards.
• Cabling installations for floor, modular furniture, walls, and communication closets. Installation of cable hanging support structures. (terminate CAT.5e, CAT.6 jacks and fiber optics. Mount face plates and surface mount boxes correctly.
• Construct communication closets (Mount and install backboards, cross connects, racks, patch panels, fiber optic and hardware). Install grounding for racks, equipment and cable as required. Complete all IDC connections
• Perform testing: test horizontal and riser cable; working history with volt-ohmmeter; troubleshoot opens, crosses, shorts and transpose pairs on horizontal and riser cable; use a tone set. Troubleshoot and document test results.
• Recognize an active voice or data circuit.
• Responsible for performance of crew or crews. Provide necessary training, Organize personnel and timeline to complete project.
• Complete all paperwork accurately and on time (timesheets, material transfers, work orders, change orders, tool transfers and others as required).
• Supervise installers for: cable pathway systems, fire stopping systems, various electronic components, and various cables that includes but is not limited to: twisted pair cable, coax, power limited tray cable, stranded cable and solid conductor low voltage cable. Cable installation includes: placement, termination, testing, labeling and documentation.
• Resolve installation issues with clients and field techs.
• Must be able to work unsupervised.
• Work with customers and technicians in a professional manner.
• 3-5 years’ experience as a Level II Lead technician, BICSI Technician certification or Installer I, II
• Understanding of how to reading drawings and performing takeoffs to form a BOM
• Working history and understanding of voice and data cabling including: fiber optics terminations and installation, cat5e & cat6, and EIA/TIA standards and BICSI installation
• Experience in access controls, CCTV, burglar alarms, intercoms, networking and other low-voltage applications is highly beneficial.
• Must act as the Company liaison for interface with customer representative(s).
• Must possess proven problem solving skills, critical thinking skills and the ability to effectively read, write and give oral presentation(s).
• Must be able to work at heights, off of a ladder and in confined spaces, lift up to 50 pounds and move up to 75 pounds.
• Must be able to see and distinguish different colors, read small print and hear and recognize audible signals such as dial tones.
Selling point of the job: Great opportunity to grow within a company that is on the move.
Work Hours and Schedule: Must be able to work days, nights, and weekends as required.
Is there travel involved? If so how much? Must be willing to travel within the branch territory and/or regional territory as needed.
Dress code: Business Casual
Base Salary: Open
Who is involved in the interview process? Project Manager
Target Start Date: ASAP